Total Pageviews

Thursday 23 December 2010

24th December - Day 11 of the first cycle of chemo

Here we are again, at silly o'clock! (05.08).

For years, I have been complaining that I never get the opportunity to 'lay in'.
Now I have all the opportunity in the world, and I am blowing it!
(I dare say that Freud would have something to say about it)!

Anyway, I am feeling fine.
When I spoke with the Oncologist yesterday, she gave me the impression that by yesterday, I should have experienced any side effects that I am going to have, - for this cycle, anyway.
I thought that it may be useful to others who may be embarking on their first journey through chemo, to list the side effects that I have experienced so far, with a 'scale' to indicate the severity. I thought 1 - 10 would be as good as any.
1 being the mildest and 10 being the worst.


  • Palpitations                                                                  2/10
  • Heartburn                                                                    2/10
  • Lack of concentration                                                  4/10
  • Continence issues                                                        4/10
  • Lethargy and tiredness                                                 4/10
  • Sore/bleeding mouth                                                    4/10
  • Drying skin                                                                  3/10
  • Bleeding nose                                                              1/10
  • Tenderness to the body                                                2/10
  • Headaches                                                                   1/10
  • Food and drinks tasting weird                                       1/10
  • Dizziness                                                                      3/10
  • Runny nose                                                                   1/10
  • Tinnitus (ringing in ears)                                                 1/10
  • Mild alteration in vision                                                  1/10
  • Nausea                                                                         1/10
  • Sore, dry lips                                                                 2/10
  • General irritability                                                           2/10 *
  • My 'innards' feeling heavy and tender                              3/10
  • Swelling and feeling bloated                                            2/10
* I think that my family are suffering from my irritability more than I am - aahhh, bless, lol!

Some side effects won't have kicked in yet, hair loss, for example.
I may have the same with the same rating during the next cycle, they may be more apparent....who knows!
I don't think that any 2 people will be the same.

Today, I intend to get some washing done, do a bit of cleaning and tidying, a bit of 'silver surfing' and make some more jewellery!


Generally, so far.... I don't feel as bad as I was expecting to, for which, I am very grateful!
However, there is still a long way to go. 

No comments: