Total Pageviews

Monday 5 December 2011

5th December

Feeling really good today! Sleeping well, symptoms not being a nuisance....so, all is well on the Western Front!

Any, not a great deal to share today, so I thought that I would relate a little tale from when I was a 'Group Worker', working with adults with learning disabilities.....

Anyway, one of my tasks whilst in this role was to teach basic social skills and cookery...............................

Well.........

We were making basic beans on toast.......................
One person was getting the right amount of slices of bread, another toasting it in the toaster, another setting the table, one opening the tins of beans, some one else buttering the bread....you get the picture.................
So...........I had asked one of the group to get the right number of plates out of the cupboard, well he didn't want to, so I asked if he felt that it was fair if he didn't help, but still ate................ he said no, and reluctantly got the plates, but he was clearly quite cross.



 My back was to him, but there was a reflective surface in front of me........
Behind my back, he held both of his hands up, level with his shoulders, palms facing himself, and started lifting and lowering his hands simultaneously at speed.

I asked him what he was doing out of curiosity.
He said that he was being rude and apologised. I was a bit puzzled and asked him how he was being rude.

He replied,
'I'm putting all of my fingers up to you'.
Again, I asked how that was rude.
He said.....
'If putting one middle finger up is rude, and putting two fingers up is ruder, then putting all of his fingers up was the very rudest!'

I thought that this was very funny, and trying to explain why it wasn't rude to put all fingers up without laughing, was one of the most difficult things that I can remember doing!

Just thinking of that, reminded me of another 'interesting occurance in a similar situation, but that is for another day!

That's it for today really, catch you again soon.

No comments: