Thinking time on the M6.......
After having time to think about the discussions with the consultant on Monday, I phoned today to ask questions. I asked for absolute honesty. I wanted to make sure that I hadn't misinterpreted anything.
Questions and answers as follows:-
Q How certain are you that I still have cancer at the original site?
A No certainty. But very high probability that the primary is in the ‘bartholomew’ gland based on research on documented cases. (Not sure I got name of gland right! Lol)
Q How certain are you that I have cancerous cells floating in my blood stream?
A No certainty, but high probability because of evidence in blood vessels to and from removed tumour.
Q What is your professional opinion of my life expectancy with treatment, assuming that I have cancer?
A Don’t know because it is that rare that we have nothing to benchmark it against.
Q What is your professional opinion of my life expectancy without treatment, assuming that I have cancer?
A Same as above.
Q For arguments sake, I have cancer and prognosis is better with treatment, what are the benefits of going private?
A Same Oncologist working with you either way, it wouldn’t be done quicker. Radiotherapy will have to take place in Newcross hospital anyway, because that is where the machine is.
Q How long will I be in hospital each day receiving my treatment.
A Depends, Chemo, all day, Radio about 2 hours, both together all day.
Q Can I drive there and back.
A Unlikely, will be very sore below with radio, will be sleepy and feel generally unwell, same for chemo, but probably not have sore ‘bits’ if treatments are consecutive, have the lot if simultaneous.
Q The literature on the treatments list many unpleasant side effects, how many on average will I get.
A Unlikely that you will get all of them at once, but depends on what therapy, how intense, both together, separately etc, most, half, some…don’t know.
Well, depending on what the Oncologist says, I think that with the above info, I don't think that I will bother with the treatment.
As I said, I will wait and see what the Oncologist says.